1 June 2019

President McKinley First UK Contact!

Video:YouTube/M0OGY

Another video from Dave showing the new President McKinley EU in action....

My initial thoughts.. I think it's sounding very good. Taking Dave's local PLT noise into account the audio on SSB sounds really good and certainly a big improvement on the Lincoln 2 and possibly the Grant 2 as well. Personally I'm not a big fan of it's looks, I'm not keen on the front facing speaker. Don't get me wrong it's a great idea for mobile operation especially if the radio is mounted in the dash, but for home base I'd prefer just to use an external speaker and have more space on the front of the radio for switches and buttons, and maybe a larger display. 

The fascia and controls look a little cheap to me, but I guess they are! 

In common with most modern stuff they are made to a very tight budget so this is to be expected and I don't suppose they are any worse than controls on some modern Ham Radio sets. 

However, the most important thing is how the radios performs and Dave's video appears to show there's nothing to worry about in that respect. There would be little point in making a beautiful radio that performed poorly!


No comments:

Post a Comment